If you’re an estate planning attorney, you understand the value of thinking ahead. But many only think about estate planning when dealing with an emergency or a health concern, while others may not even realize that their assets constitute an “estate” in the first place. Thus, a significant portion of your potential client base needs a little encouragement to seek out your services.
That’s where estate planning marketing comes into play.
Many marketing strategies can help you capture the attention of potential clients and inform them of the value of estate planning. Better yet, your marketing campaign can help you position yourself as the best attorney for the job. Below, we’ll review seven powerful marketing tactics that can bring a steady stream of new clients your way.
Why You Need An Estate Planning Marketing Strategy
While all legal professionals can benefit from marketing, different areas of the law draw different types of clients:
- Reactive Clients – Sometimes, a sudden event causes people to seek legal counsel, like filing for divorce or getting injured. In these events, looking for an attorney is a reactive response. Their attorneys don’t need to spend a ton of time explaining the value of their services, so the entire marketing process is accelerated.
- Proactive Clients – In contrast, a proactive client will seek out estate planning services. They will only set up an appointment after they understand the value of getting their affairs in order sooner rather than later. The downside? It’s easy for many people to put this process off.
With these differences in mind, the secret to effective estate planning marketing is to offer the right content at the right time. As they learn more, they’ll become increasingly inclined to reach out and schedule an appointment.
By establishing yourself as the expert in the area, you increase the chances that they reach out to you vs. your competition when they’re ready to buy.
7 Estate Planning Law Firm Marketing Tips
With the nuances of estate planning marketing in mind, let’s dive into seven estate planning marketing tips:
#1 Use Your FAQs as Inspiration for Your Content Marketing
As you probably have experienced, most clients have a lot of questions about the estate planning process. You’re probably used to answering the same ones over and over again. Take advantage of these questions to enhance your content marketing strategy.
- Create a list of your frequently asked questions.
- Record high-quality videos of yourself answering each of these questions.
- Upload these videos to your law firm’s Youtube, Facebook, and LinkedIn accounts.
- Transcribe these videos and use their text as a foundation for blog articles.
- Publish one of these blogs on your website every week.
- Use the audio from your video to create a podcast episode for each FAQ.
As you can see, there are countless ways to extract valuable content from your FAQs alone. Once you’ve exhausted these options, you can move on to more specialized topics. By spreading your legal expertise far and wide online, you’ll be more likely to capture the attention of potential clients.
In addition to answering your audience’s pressing estate planning questions, your content will create trust by showing potential clients your personality and expertise. If they like what they see, they may reach out to book an appointment.
#2 Keep Your Website Stylish, Up-to-Date, and Informative
In today’s technological world, more potential clients than ever will evaluate you based on the strength of your online presence. The most common first step? A visit to your website to appraise your law firm and estate planning services.
With this in mind, you want to make sure your website gives them a positive impression of your law firm—both through the information on the page and the user experience. After all, 75% of people judge a business’ credibility based on their website’s design.1
A few ways to impress your website visitors include:
- Invest in user-friendly, attractive web design.
- Make sure the content on your website is easy to read, useful, and error-free.
- Include positive reviews about your services on your home page.
- Showcase successful case studies from your past clients.
- Include an “About” page that establishes your expertise and builds trust.
- Place your contact information where it’s always easy to find.
- Make sure your Call to Action is strong and prominently displayed.
If your website bolsters your reputation and communicates your law firm’s unique value proposition, you’ll be one step closer to transforming these website visitors into clients.
#3 Send Out a Weekly Newsletter
A more direct way to interact with your audience is by sending them a weekly newsletter.
So how do you get people to sign up for your newsletter? One effective method is to entice website visitors to fill out a form by offering them something of value. For example, you could ask for their name and email in exchange for:
- A free phone consultation
- A helpful estate planning ebook
- Access to your latest webinar
Once you’ve built a list of emails, you can start sending out a weekly newsletter that’s informative, engaging, and highlights your law firm’s expertise.
These emails will provide the steady stream of content your potential clients need to convince them that the time to get their estate in order is now.
#4 Ask Satisfied Clients to Submit Reviews
Word of mouth has always been a powerful marketing tool. In the digital world, that translates to reviews and testimonials. One of the most powerful ways to gain clients is to generate positive client reviews, as displayed by these statistics:2
- 93% of people read reviews of local businesses to evaluate their quality.
- 72% of people won’t take a buying action until they’ve read reviews.
- 54% of people visited a local business’ website after reading a positive review.
Hopefully, you have a long list of satisfied clients who would be happy to write a review about your law firm. If so, ask them to post their review on Google, Facebook, Yelp, and any other locally relevant review websites. You can also feature your favorite reviews directly on your website’s home page.
After hearing from your previous clients, newcomers will feel much more confident about reaching out to you for estate planning.
#5 Create a Referral Program
Reading people’s reviews on the internet is one thing, but a referral from a real-life friend, family member, or colleague can be even more impactful to expanding your client base. Implementing a referral program can amplify word-of-mouth marketing for your law firm.
The most effective referral programs offer a benefit for the referred client and the person who referred them. For example, offer discounted services to the client who refers someone to your firm. Give the referred person a free consultation or discounted service to help them become a full-fledged client. Even a small incentive can get more clients in the door and set your firm apart from others.
Don’t forget to advertise this service in your social media streams and your email newsletter campaigns.
#6 Invest in Local SEO For Attorneys Lawyers
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of optimizing your website so it ranks higher on Google for specific searches (known as keywords). This process involves a variety of tactics, including:
- Optimizing the technical elements of your website
- Creating valuable content about relevant keywords
- Getting other authoritative websites to link to yours
- Adding keywords to website for SEO
Whether you hire a team of SEO professionals to implement these tasks or give it a try yourself, SEO can help your website show up for relevant Google searches, like:
- “Estate planning attorney bend oregon”
- “Wills and trusts miami”
- “Estate plan casper wyoming”
As potential clients search for these terms in an attempt to find an excellent attorney in their area, your SEO for attorney lawyers campaign will ensure that they find your website. In turn, they’ll be much more likely to explore your website and reach out to your law firm.
How Long Does SEO Take to Work?
SEO is a long-term strategy. Even if you hire a team of SEO professionals, it can take a few months before you see meaningful results from the campaign. Due to this, you may want to explore your options with PPC instead.
#7 Invest in Your Firm’s Future with Pay-Per-Click (PPC) Ads
PPC ads are advertisements that show up on Google search results pages and social media platforms. You pay for these ads based on how many people click on them, hence the name “pay-per-click.”
A PPC campaign can bring you an influx of qualified clients who match the specific demographics you’re looking for. For example, you can select your ad audience based on their household income, age, and a variety of other relevant demographics.
Because of their ability to hone in on your audience, PPC ads an incredibly valuable estate planning marketing tool. Because we only work with lawyers and have working with thousands over the years, we’re even able to target your preferred types of cases within estate planning.
Skyrocket Your Estate Planning Success With Convert IT
As you can see, there are many ways you can increase the lead generation for your estate planning law firm. By using a combination of these strategies, you’ll have your law firm’s calendar filled up in no time.
If you want support for your estate planning marketing campaign, Convert IT can help. With our extensive legal marketing expertise, we can maximize your marketing results, even if you have a limited budget.
Plan ahead for success with Convert IT Marketing.
- Stanford University. Stanford Guidelines for Web Credibility. http://credibility.stanford.edu/guidelines/index.html
- G2. 51 Customer Review Statistics to Make You Rethink Using Them. https://learn.g2.com/customer-reviews-statistics