Are you running an SEO campaign for your estate planning law practice?
If so, strategically adding relevant keywords to your website for search engine optimization purposes is one of the most important ways to increase your visibility in local search results and target your ideal clientele. But target keyword SEO is just one critical step of the ongoing optimization process.
Below, we’ll discuss the importance of adding keywords to website for SEO optimization for estate planners and then suggest other ways to optimize your site for search.
With SEO, If You’re Not First Your Last
Your practice’s digital marketing strategy will be rendered moot if it doesn’t first consider the underlying relevant keywords driving the campaign. They are the foundation to the entire process—the tool you can leverage to get to the top of the search engine results page (SERPs).
Ranking at the top of the page matters deeply, especially for local search. According to a Sistrix study on user engagement and SERPs, if you show up as the first organic result in Google Search, more than 25% of users will click through to your page.1 But, with each subsequent position, click-through rates (CTR) drop precipitously:
- Rank 1 – 28.5% CTR
- Rank 2 – 15.7% CTR
- Rank 3 – 11%
- Rank 4 – 8%
- Rank 5 – 7.2%
- Rank 6 – 5.1%
- Rank 7 – 4.0%
- Rank 8 – 3.2%
- Rank 9 – 2.8%
- Rank 10 – 2.5%
Your potential clients are searching for expertise, so they may not be able to tell the difference between the first search engine ranking practice and the tenth search engine ranking practice. That said, their natural inclination will be to choose the first ranked practice because of a prevalent mindset that goes: if it’s at the top of Google, it must be the best option.
Pointed, industry-related keywords are the vehicle that can drive you to the top.
Optimizing Keywords with Google My Business Page
Although it may seem counterintuitive, the first place to optimize your keywords isn’t your website; instead, it’s your Google My Business (GMB) Page.
Because it’s what shows up on Google maps results for local attorney searches. GMB pages are often easier to optimize and rank for than standard search. They also establish a mini-web page for your law firm, which increases your existing site’s authority. Finally, positive reviews on the page will help you rank higher for search, further increasing your visibility with potential clients.
To begin optimizing this page, you’ll need to take the following steps:
- Claim and verify the practice – If you haven’t yet received the “verified” next to your business on your Google My Business homepage, you’ll have to click “Verify now.”
- Include your contact information – You should have consistent contact information across all of your sites. This will include your law firm’s name, address, and phone number, as well as list your firm’s hours.
- Describe your practice – Provide a 100-200 word elevator pitch for what your estate planning firm focuses on and what makes it unique. For example, “Johnson and Hugo Law is an estate planning firm that’s served the central coast region for three decades. As established members of the community, we capably handle all estate-related law services—from drafting wills and trusts to finding strategic avenues to reduce your tax liabilities.”
- Select your categories – What are the relevant categories for your practice? As an estate planner, you don’t want to advertise services you don’t provide, such as labor relations. Be sure to include all relevant categories.For instance, you may have:
- Estate planning
- Estate administration
- Estate litigation
- Tax planning strategies
- Images – The website allows you to display several images on your business page. Be sure to include appropriately sized and high resolution images of the firm’s logo and headshots of the key partners.
As you go about the search engine optimization process, be sure to include strong, relevant keywords in these sections.
What is Keyword Mapping?
The Google algorithm doesn’t rank your entire page as a whole; instead, it grades each page separately. So, you must individually optimize every page on your website for keyword search.
Keyword mapping is a detailed keyword strategy that assigns a group of multiple keywords and keyword phrases to each page of content on your website and blog. For example, your Wills & Trusts page will likely target different keywords, phrases, and clients than your Inheritance Disputes page.
It’s also important to remember that Google’s algorithm prioritizes the user’s search intent.2 They want to provide the user with the most relevant answer. So, the keywords you select would differ for users looking to hire a lawyer (e.g. “estate planning attorney”) from other users researching a topic (e.g. “do I need a will?”).
It takes planning and forethought, but by choosing the right keywords for the right pages, you can ensure that each page is reaching its intended audience. This holistic gameplan positions your practice’s SEO attorneys lawyers campaign for success.
For estate planners, optimal keyword mapping comes down to keyword research. You have to know what people are likely searching and then build your SEO around those pillars.
The essence of keyword mapping is that you’ll be assigning specific keywords to pages that you want to rank for those keywords. For that, you’ll first need to determine which pages are most relevant to given keywords. There are free tools such as Google AdWords Keyword Planner and Google trends to help you brainstorm keywords.
Done correctly, your keyword research will help you compile a list of high-quality keywords—both short and long tail keywords—that are relevant to your industry and local geographic service area. For example, the top homepage keywords for your estate planning law website could be:
- Estate planning
- Revocable trust
- Estate planning attorney
- Estate lawyer
- Probate lawyer
- Will and testament
- Estate attorney
- Estate attorney near me
- Estate planning lawyers near me
- Estate lawyers near me
- Will attorney
- Will lawyer
- What is estate planning?
These are all queries that people will most likely search for when looking to hire a lawyer. Smart keyword research will account for all of the potential combinations and probable search avenues. Additionally, there are some best practices for keyword mapping that you should employ, including:
- Narrow down your options by limiting each page to a few high search volume keywords.
- Group related keywords together on a page or blog.
- Build a content roadmap with URLs.
- Monitor your results and make tweaks as necessary.
Optimizing Your Estate Planning Website
There are other tricks and tweaks you can use to improve the optimization of your keywords and website. Areas to focus on include:
The Core Pages
Your website’s homepage and service page, also known as the core pages, should include high-value, high-volume keywords that prospective clients would use to search for your services. In other words, keywords on core pages should be built around hiring intent.
Every page should include the following SEO elements:
- Title tag
- Meta description
- Relevant keywords
The Content Pages
Similarly, the FAQ and your blog are informational content pages that include keywords based on research intent instead of those tied predominantly to hiring intent.
Your blog represents an opportunity to establish your authority in the space of estate planning. It’s a chance to build readership and then convert those readers into clients. The content pages should be more focused on providing informational value to viewers than selling them on something. So, although the keyword strategy will be different, you’ll still want to include the same SEO elements discussed above.
Aside from being interesting and well written, every content page should also be:
- Informative, accurate, and up-to-date
- Filled with external and internal links
Mobile Web Design
Mobile is no longer the future. It’s now. If you don’t focus on mobile, you’ll not only create an unpleasant experience for half of your potential visitors, you’ll also impact your ability to rank higher.
Today, Mobile accounts for more than 50% of all web traffic.3 And that number will only continue to grow. As a result, Google has made it a priority to reward websites that are optimized for a mobile experience.
Your website should have a mobile-responsive web design, fast loading pages and web page speeds, and an intuitive navigation system. While this may require a modest upfront investment, it will pay significant dividends down the road.
Tracking your Results
SEO for estate planning websites is an ongoing process. It takes constant tweaking to optimize the page for search engines. Tracking your results is the best way to continue maximizing results.
For this, the three metrics you want to consider are:
- Rankings – Measures the overall performance of keyword optimization, including the total number of clicks and generations for each one.
- Traffic – While rankings increase your visibility, total traffic is also an essential data set. Increased web traffic is often the sign of a successful campaign.
- Conversions – The most important element of the campaign are the conversions, which are simply a desired action you want the website visitor to take, such as signing up for your Estate Planning newsletter or reaching out to set a meeting.
Succeed in SEO with Estate Planning Digital Marketing Strategies
In the world of SEO, keywords are a powerful tool you can leverage to rank higher, drive traffic to your website, and ultimately convert that traffic into paying clients.
For estate planners, adding relevant keywords to your estate planning law website is one of the most important ways you can begin optimizing your website. But this is just the first important step. You’ll also have to optimize all of your web pages as well as your Google My Business Page. And from there, you’ll need to measure and analyze your results before further changes are made.
Digital estate planning law firm marketing is hard work. But it’s well worth it. By investing the time, energy, and resources into keyword research and SEO strategies, you can push your estate planning firm to the top. And there’s no better organization to trust with your firm’s digital success than Convert IT Marketing Internet Marketing.
We specialize in helping law firms present themselves in their best light in the digital age. Get started today!
- Search Engine Journal. The 10 Most Common SEO Mistakes to Avoid. https://www.searchenginejournal.com/10-common-seo-mistakes/178734/#close
- Statista. Percentage of mobile device website traffic worldwide from 1st quarter 2015 to 3rd quarter 2020. https://www.statista.com/statistics/277125/share-of-website-traffic-coming-from-mobile-devices/
- Google Search Central. Create good titles and snippets in Search Results. https://developers.google.com/search/docs/advanced/appearance/good-titles-snippets?visit_id=636880082951453933-4272044119&rd=2
- Google Search Central. Link Schemes. https://developers.google.com/search/docs/advanced/guidelines/link-schemes?hl=en&visit_id=637491883999349897-3802708151&rd=1
- Google Search Central. How Search algorithm works. https://www.google.com/search/howsearchworks/algorithms/